Q: Typesetting 4 parts with a 2 staff reduction

From: David Petrou
Subject: Q: Typesetting 4 parts with a 2 staff reduction
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 15:00:30 -0400

Hi everyone.  I'm entering a four-part fugue into lilypond, and usual,
there are a few things I don't know how to do.  I'm using lily 1.3.145
(compiled just now).

I want to typeset four staves for the soprano, alto, tenor, and bass
parts.  Directly underneath these staves, I want to have a "piano
reduction" (two staves, treble and bass clef).

These are the complications:

- I want both sections to be generated from the same musical "source
  code".  (I don't want to have to enter notes twice.)

  This seems difficult, because ordinarily when I typeset something
  for one version, I need to make a lot of adjustments that are
  irrelevant to the other version.  For the piano version, I need to:
  (1) make horizontal and vertical shifts to prevent collisions; (2)
  set the stems of the soprano and tenor parts pointed up, and the
  alto and bass parts pointed down; (3) set the slur directions for
  the voices similarly; (4) change voices from one staff to another
  when they go out of the treble or bass clef ranges.  For the four
  staff version, since this is a choral fugue, I need to use slurs to
  indicate melismas, but I want no slurs on the piano version, unless
  of course I'm extending a note past a bar.

  Maybe I can define commands for the above adjustments with a
  conditional, so that it's active depending on whether it's in the 4
  staff or piano staff version.

- I want the piano staff to be in a smaller font.  I've asked this
  question before to this list (Mats mentioned that this was an
  outstanding problem and referred me to
  http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/bug-gnu-music/2001-January/000122.html.)
  Has this problem been resolved?

  I've looked at staff-size.ly.  While the clef and notes are smaller,
  the bar lines are spaced the same way, and so is the time
  signature.  Also, staff-size.ly compiles with lots of warnings.  It
  would be great if there were one command to adjust the sizes of
  everything at once.

Minor gripes:

- The bar number collides with the staff group symbol.  Also, is there
  a way to move the bar numbers down to the piano reduction staves
  instead of at the top of all the staves?  (I'm trying to copy the
  Dover Art of Fugue style.)

- lilypond-login seems broken.  It doesn't use my --prefix directory
  for all the entries.  To get xdvi to find lily's fonts, I had to
  edit it a bit for my installation.

- clean-fonts seems broken:
    clean-fonts: 1: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string

Thanks!
david