Neat little trick to break up a full score into parts

From: Tim Jones
Subject: Neat little trick to break up a full score into parts
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 14:41:47 -0400

Hi, it's me again...

While I'm not yet bright enough to figure out simple text titles, I
did manage to do something which I would have assumed to be much
harder, and I wanted to share it with you, and get your input.

I have no trouble producing a full score, and up until last week, I made all my
students read the full score, picking out just their part, but of course that
takes
a lot of paper space, and clutters up their minds with notes that they don't
have to play.

For my four-voice horn group, I wanted to produce the full score for myself,
AND separate pages containing ONLY the soprano part, the mellophone, the
baritone
and contrabass separately, with no duplication of notes.  This way I could
compose
much longer pieces and still get them on 2 or 3 pages, and it would resemble
much more the sheet music that these kids are already used to.

I tried doing this in the main file directly, but denemo absolutely would not
read the file after I made the change.  So, I experimented with another .ly
file that includes the first .ly file, and then printed each of the voices
separately.  I also found it easy to make the full score in a small font,
and to print the separated parts much larger.  Here's what I came up with:

The first \include merely creates the full score as defined in the file in my
last message.

The second \include loads the larger music fonts, and the four \score
areas print off the parts I want.  \SopranoStaff, \AltoStaff, \BaritoneStaff
and \BassStaff
are defined in cantina.ly, so I achieve my goal of no duplication, and because I
didn't introduce any of this stuff into cantina.ly, I can still edit it with
denemo.

Then of course, I had to make a shell script to automate all this (taking it all
the way to PS, which I then dump to my old HP Deskjet).

Comments?  Pitfalls?  Improvements?  (Kudos?  Hey, it might happen!)

\include "cantina.ly"

\include "paper26.ly"

\score {
        <
                \SopranoStaff

        \paper {
            indent=0;
            interscorelinefill=1;
        }
}

\score {
        <
                \AltoStaff

        \paper {
            indent=0;
            interscorelinefill=1;
        }
}

\score {
        <
                \BaritoneStaff

        \paper {
            indent=0;
            interscorelinefill=1;
        }
}

\score {
        <
                \BassStaff

        \paper {
            indent=0;
            interscorelinefill=1;
        }
}

 Timothy Jones - LinuxTampa.com - 813-65-LINUX
Open Source Programming, Databases & Networking