Notation for diatonic accordions

From: Christian Egli
Subject: Notation for diatonic accordions
Date: 30 Apr 2001 21:01:59 +0200

Hi

I'm using Lilypond to generate scores for Schwyzeroergeli which is a
three row diatonic accordion. The notation looks pretty much like
normal scores however it is interpreted differently:

* Notes on a bar are played with the middle row
* Notes between a bar are played with the outer row
* Notes between a bar with a double sharp are played with the inner
  row

So far so good. I can easily do this with the existing lilypond
infrastructure. I have to do a few tweeks to get rid of the Clef, make
sure all accidentals are written, etc.

What the notation also needs to convey is if the accordion should be
pushed or pulled. For this the notation contains something like a
RhythmicStaff below the melody staff which is thin or thick (thin =
pull, thick = push). Also on top of this second staff there are
numbers that tell you which bass to play. A big number tells you to
play the right row on the base side (just the base note) and a small
number means you have to play the left row the base side (the major
chord for this base).

I managed to put a RhythmicStaff below the melody staff which contains
the numbers as they should appear. Now I have a few things missing:

1. How to make the one bar in the RhythmicStaff is thick for some
   measures or even just for some notes? Maybe r2 could be used if it
   wasn't centered?

2. I don't need the repeat volta in the RhythmicStaff. Ok I managed to
   make it invisible (with \property RhythmicStaff.VoltaBracket
   \override #'transparent = ##t). However it still takes up a lot of
   space. How can I avoid this?

3. I would like the bars to span the melody and the RhythmicStaff. How
   can I do that?

4. Lastly, the source code contains some scm and ly files for
   Accordions but the documentation doesn't mention anything. Has
   there been other efforts to use Lilypond for diatonic accordion
   music?

Attached is my score that I translate with Lilypond 1.3.150.

Thanks for Lilypond anyway. I love it.

Christian Egli
Switching Test Solutions AG an Acterna Company,
Foerrlibuckstrasse 62, CH-8037 Zuerich