Re: NIFF->Lilypond converter

From: Guido Amoruso
Subject: Re: NIFF->Lilypond converter
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 11:13:58 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rutger Hofman" <address@hidden>
To: "Guido Amoruso" <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 2:07 PM

 in data 2001.09.04 11:44:13 +0200 Rutger Hofman ha scritto:
 > Hi folks,
 >
 > I am considering writing a filter for NIFF to Lilypond.
 > Some stuff is a bit hairy. NIFF does not really know
 > about multiple voices on one staff, for instance.
 >
 > I plan to implement as much of NIFF (or less, when I seem
 > to not need it) as is exported by SharpEye, an Optical
 > Music Reader that can generate NIFF. SharpEye comes with an
 > editor to correct the glaring reading mistakes, but that
 > editor has its limitations. It knows about triplets but
 > not about other multiplets, for instance. SharpEye comes
 > in two versions, both free trial for 30 days, but the
 > cheap one does not seem to time-out. Of course SharpEye
 > is win32 soft, but I have seen no Unix OMR programs anywhere.
 >
 > Does this sound like a reasonable idea?

 Yes, it does!!!

 Hi,

 I am an Italian violinist and Linux newbie.

 Your idea is what I've been thinking about for three months!!
 In fact, I was searching simply free sheet music I like play (sonatas,
 trios,
 quartets by Mozart, Beethoven....), but I "only" found the
 Icking-Music-Archive and Mutopia, which are beautiful project, but still
 too poor for my wishes. So I decided to put them on-line by myself and
 started to
 explore music codes and programs - I soon run into the large number of
 formats and the costs of proprietary software (...Finale!!), which forced
 me towards Linux: this was a revelation, but has taken a lot of time!
 I've also tested SharpEye and I find it very accurate and simple to use.
 The
 problem is the format: Niff is still few supportetd or not very well
 (Lime).
 I have thought long about this, and what -at present- I'd like is a
 converter to PMX, which would allow links with MusiXTeX and Lilypond.
 Perhaps it would be easier to convert directly from SharpEye, also because
 your Niff converter could support only SharpEye's Niff, couldn't it? But I
 am not an expert...!!

 Anyway, I take the opportunity to join this list, and to hear from you
 opinions about interchange music formats.
 It seems to me this is a very interestig and important point to deal with:
 "standard" format I know are Niff, Guido and MusicXml; [Linux] free
 software are Lilypond and MusiXTeX.
 It could be a strategic goal to have strong joints between one another,
 even compared to commercial software.
 I am convinced that this is a very important point and efforts should join
 (also Denemo, MuX2d, Noteedit, Rosegarden...). I konw every format and
 software has different feature, but this can be positive! What about a
 mailing-list on such topic?

 I am not a programmer, but I'd like to learn something, mostly with regard
 to music notation software and conversion tools: I'm learning some C, but
 I'd like to have your hints about useful programming language.
 It's so interesting!

 Guido

p.s.: sorry for my poor English!