Re: NIFF->Lilypond converter

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: NIFF->Lilypond converter
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 00:40:44 +0200

address@hidden writes:
>  Anyway, I take the opportunity to join this list, and to hear from you
>  opinions about interchange music formats.

<pompous arrogant opinion>

music formats are not relevant. Anyone can design a musical format,
and many have done so producing a lot of crap. It's much more
difficult to write a software package that actually does something
useful; the input format for the package can serve nicely as a
format. That's the litmus test for a good format: it should contain
enough information (and not more) to let a computer do something
useful with it.

</pompous arrogant opinion>

>  I am not a programmer, but I'd like to learn something, mostly with regard
>  to music notation software and conversion tools: I'm learning some C, but
>  I'd like to have your hints about useful programming language.
>  It's so interesting!

My personal favorite is Python (www.python.org), the language is not
very difficult to learn, and a lot of fun to use.