gnu-regexp-users

Re: [Fwd: Re: [Regexp] Gnu regexp and port to C#]

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Regexp] Gnu regexp and port to C#]
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 13:47:36 +0530

If memory serves me right, Wes Biggs wrote:
> The only issue I could think of would be licensing.. from what I can
> tell it looks like Portable.Net is GPL+Exception, which should be
> compatible.

Yes... it's a GNU project after all ... We've to be copyleft ... LGPL
fell out of favour as the library uses native methods ... So we just
followed the GNU ClassPath model of licensing ..

> Other than that I don't see any real problems, although I'm not familiar
> enough with C# to know how straightforward the port would be.

The major issue would IMHO be the behaviour of String.Substring ...

String.Substring(<string>,start,length); // rather than start,end

And of course almost all functions would need their first chars
capitalized ... To comply to the *standard* common in C# ..

The reason I'm asking for someone to help is that , I'm currently
assigned flow analysis in the compiler ... I doubt if I can find time
to do the porting effort ...

If this does not work out now ... I'm planning a Java compiler
for DotGNU , and somebody has already started retargetting jikes
to output CIL as well .. (not part of DotGNU)

Gopal
PS: visit http://www.gnu-friends.org/ for an announcement on DotGNU