gnu-regexp-users

Re: [Regexp] (no subject)

From: Jino John Thevareth
Subject: Re: [Regexp] (no subject)
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:41:28 +0530

I think this is what he means:

Assuming that this is the list of characters he wants to search for
[a-zA-Z0-9,.'&@_-]
In the given string, he wants to search for these characters , but he
wants to ignore if he finds two given characters adjacent to each other...

For example, if he were searching for just the three characters   a    b
c,
he should extract these characters only when they are present
individually.....
 He shouldn't extract   characters like  ab, ac, bc    or  even abc  ,
because here you have valid characters adjacent to each other.
For this simple example, I would write a regular expression like this:
[^abc][abc][^abc]
This just means that I'm searching for the characters a, b or c   ,
provided these characters are not surrounded by    a, b, or c
But before parsing the string, you will have to append a single (junk)
character to both ends of the string...

Unfortunately, I don't have the required set up in my computer to try this
out...     Could any one please add to what I said and help him out...
regs,
Jino

If I understand you correct. You can catch this with repeating
operators. See this from the manual:

# Repeating Operators
These symbols operate on the previous atomic expression.

     ? matches the preceding expression or the null string
     * matches the null string or any number of repetitions of the
preceding expression
     + matches one or more repetitions of the preceding expression
     {m} matches exactly m repetitions of the one-character expression
     {m,n} matches between m and n repetitions of the preceding
expression, inclusive
     {m,} matches m or more repetitions of the preceding expression

[a-zA-Z0-9,.'&@_-]{2,} would catch all occurences of at least two of
your character class.

Greetings
Thomas