Re: Package creation with GNU tools

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Package creation with GNU tools
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:25:10 +0200 (CEST)

   Therefore, packages in existing package management systems contains
   scripts that are executed before and after the installation and
   removal respectively.

We aim to not require such scripts.

   Even before installation, the package has to be created.

The idea is to use the GNU System Creator that I am working on, it is
based on GAR by Nick Moffit; which is similar to the way the BSD ports
system works.  But with the crucial difference that it is ignorant of
how to install packages into the system all it does is build binary
packages that can be later processed into a CD image for people to use
and install the GNU system.

And since all it does is create binary packages, it makes it quite
easy to hack on things.  Just do "make extract", hack a bit, and then
you can create a package that you can install if you wish with "make
package".

My goal is to make it similar in spirit to /usr/src in the BSDs, since
/usr/src defines what the BSD system should look like.  Obviously, it
won't be as bare as the BSDs, ince it will include all the normal
things that a user might wish to see.  For programs that are not that
normal (e.g. Bayonne), there will exist packages that are either off
site or on a CD.  But in all cases, any package that is part of the
GNU system will have a binary package; only that some will be
installed by default.

   In that case, it may make sense because not every package should be
   forced to use autoconf and automake, but in a GNU system, things
   are different.

Things aren't that different in the GNU system, the GNU system does
not consist of only GNU projects.  X11 isn't a GNU project, and
doesn't use the GNU Build System; yet it is part of the GNU system.
The same goes for other packages, e.g. perl, TeX, flex, etc.

   What do you think?

I don't know, since I cannot see clearly what you are suggesting,
sorry.