Re: Package creation with GNU tools

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Package creation with GNU tools
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:19:41 -0400

    I am not really a Debian expert, but it seems like font packages, for
    example, register themselves in the Debian font database.

That sort of thing is easy to handle.  We set up a virtual union
directory or file for this data base, and each such program
contributes either some files to the virtual directory, or some lines
to the virtual file.

    Some other scripts call their init.d scripts, prelink their binaries,
    force /etc/modules.conf to be regenerated by modutils, etc.

For init.d, we can set it up so that every time a new file appears virtually
in init.d, it gets run automatically.  We only need a demon that
watches for changes in that directory, and finds each new script
and runs it.

As regards modules, there probably won't be anything analogous to that
in a GNU/Hurd system.  But if there is, we can handle it easily like
init.d.

I don't know what "prelink their binaries" means.