GNU Packaging

From: Michael J. Flickinger
Subject: GNU Packaging
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 17:51:50 -0400

I'm the maintainer of GNU Packaging, which is what we are going to call this
effort.

This morning I opened a project on Savannah for this:
https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/packaging

The first thing I think we should do with this is create a tasklist on
Savannah.  This way we can create some order
of what needs to get done.

>From the TODO file in GNU System Creator and the page bddebian posted,
>http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Distrib/GnuOS,
I think we can start building a list.

>From bddebian's wiki, "We need infrastructure" section, here are my thoughts:
(lines starting with '>>' are pasted from that url)

>> Wiki for community communication
I'm not too sure a wiki is a really a priority.
I think if anything it would be beneficial later down the road, but not now.

>> Repository for packages
>> * Probably we can host it on the GNU servers
Yes, I think this should be put on Savannah.

>> Mailing lists?
>> * gnu-system-discuss is already there and should be used for most technical
>> stuff
I don't think we really need any other mailing list now.

>> Bug / Issue tracking
We'll use the project on Savannah.

--
Michael J. Flickinger