Re: GNU Package Management System

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: GNU Package Management System
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 13:12:51 +0200

   > /var/'GPMS' as you call it, is not needed.  This data is stored
   > with the actual binary package in a sub-directory called SUMMARY.

   Is there any idea/notes on what exactly will be contained in
   SUMMARY and the format of such items?

Nothing that is carved in stone.  But things like for what
architecture the package was compiled for, the package name and
version, package description, dependency listing, come to mind.

   We should get this figured out so that stowfs development can move
   forward with implementing /stow/DEPENDENCIES.  Also getting these
   SUMMARY files into GSC seems like one of the last things we need to
   get done to start building `complete' packages for GNU.

Well, since we don't have a front end, such information won't be used.
So we can still build 'complete' packages for GNU.  The data stored in
SUMMARY is really only useful to front-ends.