Re: GNU Package Management System

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: GNU Package Management System
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 10:04:20 -0400

    interfaces to it. So, I think that It could be a C library and we will
    be able to have a ncurses interface, a "command line interface", a gtk
    interface...

How about if we adapt most of this from Debian?  What Debian has
is pretty good, and I see no reason to go to the trouble
of writing this from scratch merely to improve a few aspects.

Actual installation in GNU won't work like Debian; it will use the
/packages directory.  And we would like to represent package
interrelationship data in binary packages inside those binary
packages, when possible.

But that shouldn't stop us from using the higher levels of Debian's
package code.