Re: Bootup and package managment (and a small status report)

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Bootup and package managment (and a small status report)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 03:05:18 -0400

/pkg relates more to the way this directory is used than /stow does,
but not as much as /installed.  The crucial thing about this directory
is that it controls which packages are installed.

We could call it /installed, but standardly make a symlink to it named
/ins for those who want to save typing.

ams wrote:

    I'm not particulary fond of /installed, it sounds as if this directory
    contains packages that have been installed on the system once upon a
    time, or a place where you can get a list of installed packages.  It
    doesn't sound as a place where you actually install packages.

The name could fit any of these, but that's ok.  It is hard for
to completely express a complex concept with a single word, and
this does pretty well.

However, maybe /installation would be a little better.  It focuses the
meaning on the real purpose rather than those other two similar ones.

The name /stow has no relation to the directory's usage (except for
the negligible few who happen to know what GNU stow does), so it is no
better than /pantry or /zoo for this purpose.  It is a bad choice.