address@hidden: Re: Features: Scroll wheel/ball, right bar]

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: address@hidden: Re: Features: Scroll wheel/ball, right bar]
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 20:41:49 -0500

This would be worth taking a look at, I think.
I cannot do so myself.

From: Hans Aberg <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: Features: Scroll wheel/ball, right bar
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 08:07:22 +0100
To: address@hidden

On 8 Dec 2005, at 05:54, Richard M. Stallman wrote:

>     I think that a Linux variation of the Fink <http://
>     fink.sourceforge.net/> install/deinstall system
>
> I took a brief look at that site, but I could not see anything about
> an "install/deinstall system".  Could you please send me whatever
> text you think I should read?

It is very hard to understand what it is all about without trying, so
I would you think you need to get hold of somebody who can show it to
you on a Mac to actually see how it works (also see below). I was
myself very skeptical about it, thinking traditional installs would
be the only right way, and although I have had it for six months on
my computer, I did not use it. But when I now tried it for only two
installs, emacs21 and xboard/crafty (rated at about ELO 2600), it is
indeed very impressive in the category of ease of use. The underlying
point is that its install scripts are very powerful, I think written
in Perl. This is then combined with a GUI, called FinkCommander, so
that one does not have to do console commands for the installs,
updates and deinstalls.

> Meanwhile, what would be meant by a "Linux variation" of that
> install/deinstall system?  What does an install/deinstall system have
> to do with the kernel?

Fink is just a regular program that has the capacity to download
programs automatically over the Internet in binary or source form,
and make sure it gets properly installed, via FinkCommander by means
of a click in a GUI, keeping track of package dependencies in the
process, and one can equally easily deinstall programs. It can also
check for updates of latest versions. There is currently a list of
1938 packages listed in the window on my computer, from which I can
read package info, go to package documentation, or choose to
immediately install if I so which, plus more. The installed stuff is
put into a special directory /sw/, which does not touch anything
else. So one can easily take the whole Fink installation away by
merely removing this directory, or reinstall it at need.

The whole point is the tremendous ease if use: if a binary is
available, one can get that one, which is provides a very quick
install. If no binary is available, more common on later program
versions, one can get  down the sources and get it compiled, with
automatic tracking of package dependencies. The user needs thus not
do any real hands-on install work.

A bottleneck, though, is that packages need to be adapted to work
with Fink. Therefore it does not replace traditional installs or CVS
versions. But even if one needs how to do traditional installs, Fink
is convenient if one just wants to run a program without wanting to
do the regular install chores. One can then move on to traditional
installs at need.