Re: What to call Guix

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: What to call Guix
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 15:21:25 -0500

  > Then what about “GNU System Distribution”?

We cannot give it a name like that.  To call a distro "the GNU system
distribution" would come across as a rejection of gNewSense, Trisquel,
etc.  Those distros are important contributions to our community, and
promoting them is an important goal for the GNU Project.

Therefore, my decision is that the GNU Project will not name a distro
by a name that appears to say it is above all other distros in
importance to us.  I'm also the judge of whether any name has that
problem.

Please propose names that would clearly and definitely avoid this
problem.  I liked Guixotic because it avoids this problem.
There are other ways to avoid it, perhaps not as clever and funny
as Guixotic but they'd be acceptable.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation