Re: GFDL holds the answer about fancy javascript (was: gnuradio project.

From: Filip Brcic
Subject: Re: GFDL holds the answer about fancy javascript (was: gnuradio project..)
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2017 13:49:32 +0100

Дана субота, 04. март 2017. у 00.09.14 CET, Richard Stallman написа:
> However, why not have a fall-back search facility for text-based
> browsers, that works without graphics or Javascript?  Even if it looks
> clunky, it is better than nothing.

Naturally. Doxygen also supports server-side search written in php, as long as
the server can support php (which most can), it shouldn't be a problem to make
the search non-javascript based as well.

> The ethical issue in this area is that all Javascript code sent to the
> user must be free.

That is, at the moment, partially true. Doxygen's JavaScript is part of
Doxygen which is under GPL-2, but there are no headers in the JavaScript files
saying so. Also, having JS files in GPL-2 would, basically, disable anyone from
using Doxygen for generating documentation in a program with some different
license without the program itself becoming GPL-2 as well.

I believe Doxygen should clarify the licenses. Otherwise, one could argue that
any program/library that ever used Doxygen to generate documentation is now
GPL-2 or later.

--
GPG fingerprint: 9AFC0A4BD2CEF3D22CF6108196577BD3C105EDA4
Please read if you don't use GPG: https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/