[open-cobol-list] looking for ideas: more on internals (intrinsics)

From: Tim Nixon
Subject: [open-cobol-list] looking for ideas: more on internals (intrinsics)
Date: Tue Nov 30 05:56:02 2004

We would like to add some of the internal cobol routines for code we’re supporting. For example: ORD-MAX, ORD-MIN, CURRENT-DATE and the like. My initial concept is to write these in c, and modify the compiler to understand the FUNCTION statement and map it to the appropriate library routine, It would be important that the compiler could verify that each was being supplied with the correct # (and type in the general sense) of arguments. The implementation of the intrinsics would match the standard for size, type etc for both arguments and return values. I also would like to make the implementation robust in the sense that if we began with a few routines we could easily add others as needed without modifying large sections of code. Does anyone have any ideas that would be beneficial for this project?

Tim Nixon