[open-cobol-list] CVS Update 20051115 - File handling

From: Roger While
Subject: [open-cobol-list] CVS Update 20051115 - File handling
Date: Tue Nov 15 08:40:02 2005

CVS Updated.

On hitting a STOP RUN, we now check the list of used
files. If any are still open, they will be implicitely closed and
a message will be put out on stderr eg. -
"WARNING - Implicit CLOSE of xxxxxx"

This usually means you have a logic error in your program.

Interestingly enough, we now get loads of these messages when
running the Cobol85 suite.
After checking, it appears that, indeed, there are several programs that
do not close all files.
Note, this does not affect the test results; you just get these warnings whilst
running the test.

We now trap the signals INT, QUIT and HUP.
If this occurs (eg. by hitting CTRL C while running a prog), you will get a message like this :
"Abnormal termination - File contents may not be correct"
and implicit closing will be done as described above.

A new environment variable has been introduced :
COB_SYNC
If this is set to 'Y' or 'y' or anything else that begins with a 'Y' or 'y'
then we will flush(sync) after EVERY file changing operation on ALL
types of files.
Now repeat after me - "I do NOT need this unless I am extremely paranoid".

CVS snapshot tarball at http://www.sim-basis.de/open-cobol-0.33.tar.gz

Roger