[open-cobol-list] CVS Update 20051115 (2) - File handling

From: Roger While
Subject: [open-cobol-list] CVS Update 20051115 (2) - File handling
Date: Tue Nov 15 11:09:02 2005

CVS Updated.

Further to last update :
The variable COB_SYNC as well as accepting 'Y', 'y', now
accepts 'P', 'p'' (or anything that begins with these letters).
Why 'P' ?  ->  PARANOID.
With this, in addition to flushing (or BDB syncing), we go down to
the file descriptor level (also for BDB) and fsync at that level.

This really blows your performance to hell and back.
Try running the Cobol85 test suite after exporting COB_SYNC=P
No, the program isn't in a loop  :-)  :-)   But the disk lights look
pretty  :-)

Now repeat after me - "I do NOT need this unless I am extremely paranoid".

CVS snapshot tarball at http://www.sim-basis.de/open-cobol-0.33.tar.gz

Roger