Re: [open-cobol-list] Stdin/stdout, was Open Cobol Tutorials and other

From: John Culleton
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Stdin/stdout, was Open Cobol Tutorials and other things.
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 09:47:45 -0400

On Wednesday 03 October 2007 02:41:58 am Roger While wrote:
> OC also accepts the ACU specific syntax -
> ACCEPT identifier-1 FROM ENVIRONMENT "QUERY_STRING".
>
> Which actually is much more succint.
>
> Roger

Excellent.

This differs from TC syntax only by one word.  Therefore cgi-bin programs are
almost intechangeable between the two.  I tested the TC program and web page
pair phacode.cob/phacode.html provided by David Essex and with the one word
modification it ran under OC too.  The cgi-bin door is now open. Html can be
used for both local and remote access to  COBOL programs.

In the program/html page pair the html calls the program rather than vice
versa but this is a minor distraction.

The other alternative I plan to test is COBOL and tcl/tk.  This is effectively
local only but offers some extra flexibility on the non-COBOL side.

Thanks to all who replied.
--
John Culleton