Re: [open-cobol-list] Stdin/stdout, was Open Cobol Tutorials and other

From: John Culleton
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Stdin/stdout, was Open Cobol Tutorials and other things.
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 10:25:58 -0400

On Thursday 04 October 2007 05:54:36 am Alain Lucari wrote:
> Le Wed, 3 Oct 2007 09:47:45 -0400
>
> John Culleton <address@hidden> a écrit:
> > On Wednesday 03 October 2007 02:41:58 am Roger While wrote:
> > > OC also accepts the ACU specific syntax -
> > > ACCEPT identifier-1 FROM ENVIRONMENT "QUERY_STRING".
> > >
> > > Which actually is much more succint.
> > >
> > > Roger
> >
> > Excellent.
> >
> > This differs from TC syntax only by one word.  Therefore cgi-bin
> > programs are  almost intechangeable between the two.  I tested the
> > TC program and web page  pair phacode.cob/phacode.html provided by
> > David Essex and with the one word  modification it ran under OC too.
> >  The cgi-bin door is now open. Html can be
> > used for both local and remote access to  COBOL programs.
> >
> > In the program/html page pair the html calls the program rather than
> > vice  versa but this is a minor distraction.
> >
> > The other alternative I plan to test is COBOL and tcl/tk.  This is
> > effectively  local only but offers some extra flexibility on the
> > non-COBOL side.
>
> I'm interested by the result of your test with tcl/tk. Please, send
> me an e-mail when you have some results.
>
> I suppose that you well know that Rildo has made something about that.
>
> > Thanks to all who replied.
>
> Best regards,

Yes indeed. The test program suite tgui01 compiles and works perfectly on my
system.  Two things of note:
Rildo uses a C program as a wrapper for the tcl code.
He uses and recommends vTcl as a Tcl/Tk development tool, though this is not
required.  Some others recommend Vtkproe as a more current tool.  I don't
know enough about either to state a preference.

Since I cannot (yet) successfully run COBOL programs on my remote
wexfordpress.net site  I will stick to local use and TclTk either the Rildo
way or the Expect/Send way (TclTk calls COBOL rather than vice versa).  Html
is still an option.

Onward and upward!
--
John Culleton