Re: [open-cobol-list] Syntax problem

From: John Culleton
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Syntax problem
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 08:35:21 -0400

On Sunday 07 October 2007 08:18:18 am Etta David wrote:
> Greetings All.
>
>   I am developping a program in which i wish to display some data on the
> screen from line 3 col 4 to line 21, col 72, about 17 lines. Then clear
> this lines and continue displaying.
>
>   Which instruction can enable me to this. Please provide my with the
> syntax if possible.
>
>   David.
>

> ---------------------------------
> Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the
> boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail

In COBOL there are three approaches to screen writing. One is the SCREEN
SECTION, which has existed for years and I believe is now in the COBOL
standard.
Open  COBOL has not implemented the SCREEN SECTION yet.

The second is a common addition to the ACCEPT and DISPLAY commands that
specifies the line and column of a data item such as:
DISPLAY "Name" LINE 10 COLUMN 5.
ACCEPT "Name"  LINE 10 COLUMN 20.
This is not standaard COBOL and the  syntax varies a bit from compiler to
compiler.  Open COBOL has not implemented this extension either.

The third way is to use another programming system such as html or Tcl/Tk to
actually accept and display the data. We had a discussion of the html option
recently.  Search under the word ENVIRONMENT in the archives.  You can do
html in using  Open COBOL to create the cgi-bin program but the constructions
of the screens and the decoding of the results returned are both a bit
tedious.

Tiny COBOL offers all three options and there are examples in the TC test
programs.  I plan on mixing COBOL programs and Tcl/Tk screens in my current
project, and have it operational  under either OC or TC, using a different
mechanism than the C language interface described in TC.

It would help if we knew your operating system.  The Linux vs. MSWin
environments may offer different options.  I only work in Linux.

--
John Culleton