Re: [open-cobol-list] [Bulk] Posible difference in the precision of COMP

From: Fred Mobach
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] [Bulk] Posible difference in the precision of COMPUTE statements between OPEN COBOL 1.1 and mainframe COBOL
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:07:03 +0100

On Friday 26 February 2010 15:46:12 Rich Smrcina wrote:
> The term mainframe is not ambiguous.  Mainframe refers to the IBM
> System 360/370/390/z/System z class of computer systems.  Other
> systems that call themselves 'mainframes' are hopping on the
> bandwagon, and likely do not use the same architecture or have the
> same reliability and availability characteristics.

I know that Siemens BS2/OSD mainframes use the same machine instructions
as the IBM mainframes, e.g. UNPK, PACK, AP, DP, MP, SP, CMP, MVZ, MVO
for packed decimal arithmetic. The differences are in the compilers and
run-time systems.

The problem in this case is most likely the number of assumed digit in
intermediate results, like Vince Coen already stated.
--
Fred Mobach - address@hidden - address@hidden
website : https://fred.mobach.nl