gnue

Re: Drop shipping?

From: Peter Sullivan
Subject: Re: Drop shipping?
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 19:35:11 +0100

From: Ryan Grange <address@hidden>
> I was reading the gnue docs and the example given talks about a business
that
> doesn't maintain inventory.  What it describes is order parts in for
shipment
> to a customer.  What if you want the part vendor to ship them directly to
> your customer (drop shipment) instead of paying freight twice?

I'm guessing that you are presumably adding a mark-up to the cost of the
part
(hey, all these order forms you have to fill in for your customers cost
you time, right?). So I think the way I would approach this is to have a

virtual "drop shipping" warehouse, and set the business rules so that
any
goods "received" into it were immediately "issued" to the end-customer.
This
would enable you to calculate your profit/loss on your drop shipping
"warehouse" in the same way as for the other, physical, warehouses.

Of course, all of this is a bit theoretical at the moment, as we are not

starting work on the Supply Chain (or any) package until the Application

Server is a bit further along to support it...

--
Peter Sullivan <address@hidden>