gnue

RE: Data Dictionary Concept

From: Jeff Childers
Subject: RE: Data Dictionary Concept
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 18:37:23 -0400

Todd,

I looked over the links you provided (thanks). Good stuff, if a little
heady.

Personally, I am 100% in favor of building an open-standards platform to
drive e-transactions. I share your frustration with the inefficiency of what
is largely a 1,000-year-old process, not to mention that I have written
several EDIX12 packages and would be happy if I never heard of that
"standard" again.

Two items of note:
1) If GNUe is ready for the standards, are the standards ready for GNUe? It
sems like much of this work is still in process.
2) We have yet to hear from Derek or anyone else on the GNUe project about
the data dictionary. Given that this project has a depth of history behind
it already, key decisions may have already been made.

Next, I think encapsulating additional information at the types level and/or
the metadata level could still achieve what I suggest regardless of whether
the Oasis registry object or any other metadata controller were used. PS -
I'm not familiar with the Oasis language so forgive me if my description is
inaccurate.

The ebXML may offer as much time savings in providing an industry-acceptable
format as it requires in additional ramp-up. One does wonder, though, with
all the new acronyms these days, just how many standards one project can
support.

Regards,

Jeff