gnue

[GNUe] GNUe forms questions

From: Ulf Mehlig
Subject: [GNUe] GNUe forms questions
Date: 01 Aug 2003 10:06:18 -0300

Hello GNUe-experts,

I started to play around with GNUe forms 0.5, and I have a few
questions:

      * can I link more than 1 master table to a detail table? How?
      * does somebody have an example form that lets one choose the
        value of a data base table's foreign key (referencing another
        table) from a listbox? If the foreign key would be a number id,
        would it also be possible to list e.g. a text description of the
        item referenced by the number (given in the reference table) in
        that listbox (thus hiding the number from the user)? Of course,
        all this listbox stuff would only make sense if the foreign key
        values were not too numerous ...
      * has somebody thought about an entry field that reacts to
        keyboard input like a "readline"-enhanced command line by
        completing partly-typed words from a list? Would be even more
        useful than the listbox for the foreign key issue described
        above ;-)
      * I read in a mailing list contribution by Jason Cater from Oct 18
        2002 that it is possible to make "subforms" with something
        called "<import-form>". Where can I find an example form using
        this technique?
      * I tried to change the behaviour of date fields to accept
        something like "dd.mm.yyyy" by manipulating the respective parts
        of gnue.conf, but my form still didn't accept that format --
        what is my error here?
      * I was not successful in writing a kind of input error correction
        trigger that clears the wrong entry and then (this is what did
        not work) jumps back to the beginning of the respective entry
        field. Could anybody kindly give me an example?
      * is there a recommended technique for doing forms with
        multi-lingual labels and messages? I read in a list message that
        there is an i18n team ...
      * a last, a probably not totally GNUe-specific question: I thought
        about making a separate python package for some functions I
        would use in several triggers. How do I include a package like
        this in the MS-Windows version of GNUe forms? (with Linux, I
        just started the form tool with "PYTHONPATH=./mystuff.py
        gnue-forms myform.gfd", but it didn't work on Windows that
        easily.) Is there a better technique to include such packages?

I hope somebody has read until the end of this rather long list ;-) And
if he/she knows an answer to one or the other of my questions: Many
thanks!!

Ulf

--
 Ulf Mehlig    <address@hidden>