gnue

[GNUe] Various newbie questions

From: Wolfgang Keller
Subject: [GNUe] Various newbie questions
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:44:13 +0100

Hello,

I read through some more documents that I managed to dig out of the GNUe
WWW site and this raised a few questions.

- In the developer's introduction to GNUe common it written that among the
features is:

"An RPC abstraction layer that will allow server processes to define their
public methods once and have them available to CORBA, XML-RPC, SOAP, and
DCOM clients."

Are all these implemented yet? I would guess that DCOM is only available on
Windows?

- The developer's guide for the GNUe appserver mentions that the basic
datatypes supported are: string number boolean date time datetime

Are these really all? Not more? Are there possibilities to easily add
custom datatypes?

- The developer's guide for GNUe forms mentions custom widgets and does not
recommend to use them. But is there still an easy possibility to use them
at all with GNUe (other than writing the _entire_ client from scratch)?

- The WWW page about GNUe forms mentions Qt, HTML, "native" Windows, curses
and GTK2 interfaces - are all these implemented yet?

- How about concurrent access to the database underlying GNUe by other
applications for directly feeding in data?

TIA,

Best regards

Wolfgang Keller