gnue

Re: [GNUe] Various newbie questions

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: Re: [GNUe] Various newbie questions
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:58:06 +0100

Thanks Derek for answering this already, let me add some more
information:

Am Mittwoch, den 12.01.2005, 09:18 -0700 schrieb Derek Neighbors:
> > "An RPC abstraction layer that will allow server processes to define their
> > public methods once and have them available to CORBA, XML-RPC, SOAP, and
> > DCOM clients."
> >
> > Are all these implemented yet? I would guess that DCOM is only available
> > on
> > Windows?
>
> No not all implemented yet.  Yes DCOM would be windows only.  We were
> calling this abstration GNU RPC.

Currently, only XMLRPC is working, and SOAP is probably close to
working.

> > - The developer's guide for the GNUe appserver mentions that the basic
> > datatypes supported are: string number boolean date time datetime
> >
> > Are these really all? Not more? Are there possibilities to easily add
> > custom datatypes?

These are really all. Datatypes must be supported somehow by the
database, and there must be a widget in forms to display that datatype.

What datatype would you be missing, for example?

> > - The WWW page about GNUe forms mentions Qt, HTML, "native" Windows,
> > curses
> > and GTK2 interfaces - are all these implemented yet?
> >
> The native windows and gtk2 interfaces were fairly functional at one time.
>  The curses interface was up and running, but not feature complete.  The
> Qt interface was in a similar state.  The HTML interface has had many
> iterations and had working code, but has always been far from complete.

Gtk2 and native windows work perfectly. Curses is usable with
limitations. Qt and HTML are not finished and currently not maintained.

Thanks,
--
Reinhard Mueller
GNU Enterprise project