gnue

Re: [GNUe] GNUe in actual production use?

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: Re: [GNUe] GNUe in actual production use?
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 17:52:15 +0200

Am Samstag, den 07.10.2006, 17:14 +0200 schrieb Wolfgang Keller:
> Type of application, type/name of company, size of installation?

All are applications specific to the company and individually made for
them.

I do not want to publish the names of the companies here, but I can give
you some info about the applications:

The smaller one is a catalogue management system: the company has about
50 representives, and each of them has a case with some items (to show
to potential customers). With the app, they keep track which rep has
which items in his/her case, and they can print a kind of catalogue with
all the items for a specific rep, including pictures of the items.
Fairly simple thing, but memory problems generating a PDF containing
more than 100 digicam bitmaps keep biting us :-(
This company is a very small, single user install. We use postgres here
(but with my experiences now, I would use sqlite if I had to decide
again).

The bigger one is an administration software for a company that
distributes free (as in free beer) newspapers. They administrate 300
people doing the distribution in the street. This has grown to a 5 user
install. We use SQLite here with very good results.

Both these are 2-tier apps (without AppServer).

Apart from that, we use a GNUe app internally to keep track of calls to
our hotine and to write the invoices for these calls. We have built that
3-tier (with appserver).

Furthermore, as I am a member of the Free Software Foundation Europe, we
use GNUe AppServer as a backend to the Fellowship membership management.
You can register online (https://www.fsfe.org), and your registration
data and payment data is managed through an off-site AppServer
application, which in turn communicates back to the web server and the
mail server to enable/disable the web page account and the email
forwarding.

That's all, for now, that BYTEWISE does with GNUe. If you have more
detailed questions about one of the projects, you can ask me at any
time.

Thanks,
--
Reinhard Mueller