gnugeneration

Re: [Gnugeneration] Lets figure out this logo thing

From: Dara Adib
Subject: Re: [Gnugeneration] Lets figure out this logo thing
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 16:40:23 -0400

Max Shinn wrote:

> Also, I would like to use a slightly more balanced voting system than
> a typical ballot.  From my experiences, the most effective way to do
> this is to give each person 10 vote points.  All 10 can go on a
> single logo, or they can be split between multiple logos.  So for
> instance, if I liked the "pig logo" and the "cow logo", but the "cow
> logo" slightly better, I may give the pig 4 points and the cow 6.
> This way, nobody is forced to choose a "favorite" necessarily, but
> can instead pick out favorites.  Opinions?

Now that voting has started, we'll of course go along with the method.

But for any future voting, I think it'd be a good idea to consider
Condorcet methods <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condorcet_method>.
Under a Condorcet implementation (I'd recommend either
Ranked Pairs or Schulze/Schwartz), the voter ranks the choices. IMHO
it's more democratic because votes don't get diluted: it's like an
election with infinite runoffs. Debian and Wikimedia both use a
Condorcet method of voting.

Cheers,
Dara

--
READ CAREFULLY. By reading this email, you agree, on behalf of your
employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from