Re: [gnugo-devel] GTP GnuGo and small boards

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] GTP GnuGo and small boards
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 23:27:03 +0200

Allan wrote:
> I've not been keeping up with the CVS, so I don't know if this is still a
> problem, but in 3.1.8, the following GTP commands break GnuGo:
>
> 1 boardsize 4      (or 3, but not 2 or less)
> =1
> 2 genmove_black
>
> Note that the first command, setting the boardsize, is accepted without
> complaint. It's the command to make a move that triggers the crash.

The official answer is that boards smaller than 9x9 are not really
supported by GNU Go. If someone tracks the bug down a fix will of
course be accepted anyway. Personally I won't bother with it, but it
could be a good exercise for someone who wants to start learning about
the inner workings of the engine.

/Gunnar