Re: [gnugo-devel] GTP GnuGo and small boards

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] GTP GnuGo and small boards
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 04:48:51 -0700

> > The official answer is that boards smaller than 9x9 are not really
> > supported by GNU Go.
>
> What?  All sizes down to MIN_BOARD (currently 3) must of course be
> supported.  Otherwise we should set MIN_BOARD to 9.

We've known for a while that GNU Go doesn't play intelligently
on 7x7 boards, sometimes passing early and other nonsense.

Small boards are potentially interesting for experiments
because potentially one can try to read out completely
the move tree.

But other things seem more important than fixing play on 7x7 and smaller.
Does that mean that we should disable play on small boards?  My feeling
is that we should allow it, just as we allow people to run the program
at levels >10. It just isn't officially supported. You do it at your
own risk.