Re: [gnugo-devel] no man's land around the board.

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] no man's land around the board.
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 18:52:55 +0200

Tanguy wrote:
> The dfa algorithm scans the board following a spiral path.
> This spiral often goes out of the board.
> http://www.irisa.fr/prive/turvoy/gnugo/doc/path.png
>
> To handle this i use a local board of size
> MAX_BOARD surrouned by a GREY area of the same size
> (This make a 3*MAX_BOARD board )
>
> I want to modify board[] to get this property,
> this will modify all the board macros.

No way. This would waste huge amounts of memory for all the data
structures we want to have parallel to the board, alternatively
require a lot more complexity indexing them.

It's better to continue with a local copy of the board in matchpat/dfa
with the desired properties. It requires some bookkeeping to keep in
sync with the real board, but it's better to take the complexity hit
there than everywhere.

/Gunnar