Re: [gnugo-devel] trevor_1_15.4

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] trevor_1_15.4
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 19:41:32 -0800

> To the best of my knowledge, there would not be a copyright problem
> with constructing generic patterns to solve problems from collections.
> I don't intend to distribute the actual problems themselves.

I didn't actually look at your patch, I just saw the reference
to Maeda's problem book.

> Is the copyright concern over distributing the collections, or are
> you concerned over adding patterns based on testing GNU Go against
> problems out of a copyrighted collection?

Principally we should be aware of the issue and if in doubt err in the side
of caution.

> Is the Gokyo Shumyo available in SGF (or any electronic) format?

Problems from Gokyo Shumyo and other classical sources are in
Uligo (http://www.g0ertz.de/uligo/classic.html). This is GPL'd
stuff and Ulrich Goertz was careful about copyright matters.

David Denholm has looked at Uligo, maybe he can tell us more.

Unlike the engine, we are not attempting to have the copyright
of everything in regression/ but games for which we don't have
the copyright should not be in regression/games/ but in some
subdirectory. And we must be careful not to violate anyone's
copyright.