Re: [gnugo-devel] gnu go for ArmLinux

From: brian lee dae yung
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] gnu go for ArmLinux
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 12:10:05 -0800 (PST)

--- Daniel Bump <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Hello, i am interested in running GNU Go on a Yopy, which runs
> > ArmLinux, but cannot find any information regarding this.  Will GNU
> Go
> > compile for ArmLinux or will i need to create a port?
>
> GNU Go is pretty portable. I've never heard of the Yopy but
> I gather it's a small computer. I found pictures of it at:
>
> http://www.gicom.com/yopy/

actually, these pictures are for the YDK1000.  i have the YP-3000 which
looks like:
  http://gmate.com/english/products/pop_photos01.htm

> People have been reasonably successful in porting GNU Go 2.6
> to PDA's but 3.x may be too big.

is it the footprint or the memory requirements that are big?  i read
that it GNU Go uses a hefty RAM cache.

> Could you tell us a little more about the Yopy? How much
> RAM does it have?

the YP-3000 has 64MB SDRAM and 16MB FlashROM and uses the StrongARM
SA1110 @ 206 MHz.  It runs XWindows on ARMLinux + GMate's [the
manufacturer] own modifications.  It supports MMC, of which i have 2 64
MB cards.

For the YP-3000, the FlashROM is read-only, and i believe that only
/usr/local can be written to, as the rest of the disk is in cramfs
format.  i'm not sure how much space is available on the FlashROM
itself, outside of the cramfs section, but given the size of the
FlashROM, i imagine it would probably have to be installed onto the mmc
card [accessible by /mnt/mmc] via an ln link.

some specs are here:
  http://gmate.com/english/products/pop_specification.htm
and here:

http://yopydeveloper.org/english/develop/download/file/ot/differencebetweenYDKandYP3000.pdf

regards, brian lee.

=====
.
                  {: }

   ..     the mux space conglomerate     ..
      " family values were never this good "

               www . mux space . com