Re: [gnugo-devel] trevor_1_25.2

From: Trevor Morris
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] trevor_1_25.2
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 13:04:57 -0500

The devel web page says:
trevor_1_25.2. Fastlib and pattern anchors. This patch causes crashes.
Supercedes trevor_1_25.1.

I hope that the crash part is a bug in the page.  Please let
me know if the revised version causes crashes.

Gunnar said:
>>   With the reduced MAXSTACK, run-away reading code fails in
>> a trymove assert rather than overrunning the stack.
>
>This is a strange bug since the involved stacks (at least supposedly)
>scales with the MAXSTACK value. It would be good if someone could
>track down more exactly what happens.

I'll take a look at it.  At first I thought it was an application
stack overrun, but now I'm not so sure.

>> The new value ( MAX_BOARD * MAX_BOARD * 2 / 3 ) is still quite a bit
>> deeper than GNU Go should ever try.
>
>No, this is not safe. It's not only the reading code doing trymoves.
>Unconditional_life() can get very close to filling the entire board
>under certain circumstances. This was discussed in the list around
>August 21 last year, in a thread with the subject "gnugo bug logs".

Oops.  Before my time, sorry.