[gnugo-devel] trevor_1_25.2

From: Trevor Morris
Subject: [gnugo-devel] trevor_1_25.2
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 10:30:11 -0500

Supercedes broken trevor_1_25.1

http://www.public32.com/games/go/trevor_1_25.2
 - new function fastlib() helper for approxlib family.
 - a pattern can now force the anchor point.
 - matchpat can be run forcing anchor to be in the goal.
 - simplification of UPDATE_SAVED_KO_RESULT
 - reduce overhead in non-variadic macro TRACE definitions
 - reduce MAXSTACK
 - EXPERIMENTAL_READING code much more interesting.
 - moved most of EXPERIMENTAL_READING code out of do_attack.
 - [ox]lib request only up to MAX_LIBERTIES liberties.

Items of particular note:
  Mkpat generates forced anchors for Q & Y (at colors O & X).

  I find the new definition of UPDATE_SAVED_KO_RESULT esier
to understand.  It is intended to be functionally identical.

  The new TRACE & family definitions were motivated by the fact
that the VC profiler indicated 8% of time in DEBUG function call,
even with no debugging flags set.

  With the reduced MAXSTACK, run-away reading code fails in
a trymove assert rather than overrunning the stack.  The new
value ( MAX_BOARD * MAX_BOARD * 2 / 3 ) is still quite a bit deeper
than GNU Go should ever try.

  I cleaned up the EXPERIMENTAL_READING code some, so it's not
sprinkled inside the non-experimental code.

  The performance of the pattern-based reading code is surprisingly
good for the limitted effort I've put into it so far.  Here's a
little comparison:

                standard        pattern-based
cputime 13.77           38.63
nodes           130191          241246
msec/node       .106            .160
FAILS           0               5
PASSES          0               5

The number of nodes fluctuates wildly as I play with the patterns, but
the general msec/node value stays pretty constant at about .16  This
is actually on the high side, node-wise of what I've seen.