Re: [gnugo-devel] 100 game series

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] 100 game series
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:39:27 -0800

> If we want to play such matches regularly, it might make sense to have a
> command line option to turn off all score-dependent behaviour. Then the
> average score would be a meaningful information as well.

Score-dependent behavior consists of playing more cautiously
when ahead. This hopefully has the effect of increasing the
win rate though decreasing the margin. I'm not sure I believe
that it's more meaningful to turn this off.

About the uncertain owl reasons, in the game
Teto-gnugo-3.1.25-200202190228.sgf available at
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~gunnar/gnugo/nngs/ , at move
110, B finds an uncertain defense reason at F17 for the
upper left corner. It thinks the group is alive but the
node count is exhausted. B thinks it's behind by a few
points (less than 10) so the uncertain defense reason is
ignored. As a result the group gets killed. Can anything
be done about this?

One thing I thought about was that it might be good for
twogtp to have an option of playing one or three game
kadoban. Thus if you run the option --kadoban 3 the
handicap would change after someone wins 3 games in a
row. This way you'd find out the right handicap.