Re: [gnugo-devel] 100 game series

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] 100 game series
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 20:32:37 +0100 (CET)

> Particularly annoying was the tendency to make "two space diagonal
> jumps", leaving a big gap in the position. The worst example of this
> is P6 but also K14 and N10 are similar. I guess one way of solving it
> is to make the pattern Intrusion21 more powerful, but I leave it to
> Arend to try to tune this.

I agree that there is a problem with this shape, but I am not sure whether
I these examples are particularly bad. K14 looks fine to me; if W just
answers L15 with M13, then Black has played on neutral points. P6 might
locally be not optimal, but it looks playable to me. (Globally, an invasion
on the left hand side seems more appropriate.) And I would classify N10 rather
as a tactical mistake, because M14 should capture the 2 black stones.

I will try to think what can be done about P6, or maybe wait for more
urgent examples needing a fix.

Arend

P.S.:
Maybe I am biased because I once explicitly got the shape
.X.O
..a.
b..1
.c..
recommended in a lecture by a 6D as an attempt to invite the opponent
play on neutral territory (Wa - B b or c). (Admittedly, this 6D likes
to play for influence :-) ).