Re: [gnugo-devel] Owl persistent cache

From: Inge Wallin
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Owl persistent cache
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:14:30 +0100 (MET)

Dan wrote:
> So an important speedup would be to improve the active
> area of the owl persistent cache. The patch active_1_27.1
> (not in the CVS yet) adds a debug flag -d0x200000
> (DEBUG_OWL_PERSISTENT_CACHE) that activates some disabled
> debugging code that Gunnar had left in owl.c. I think
> this gives a pretty good picture.
>
> If you run this some you'll see that the active areas
> do indeed look capable of improvement. I think
> inventing a good new algorithm for this might be
> an important thing right now.

I read on a web site describing some go program (Smart Go, I think)
that the program did this:

After computing the result, it recalculated it again using the
contents of the hash table.  Thus many blind alleys were never
searched, and the active area turned out much smaller, sometimes only
half as big as before.

        -Inge