Re: [gnugo-devel] Owl persistent cache

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Owl persistent cache
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 20:54:24 -0800

> http://nngs.cosmic.org/cgi-bin/ngraph.cgi?n=gnugo
>
> Note that the ratings dive (at the time attributed to NNGS
> rating instability) happened right around this time too.

This has been broken since 3.1.10 which came out on October 14.
The rating plummet started in mid-November, and I attributed
it to the fact that Lazarus learned to beat GNU Go. (Jirong
takes credit for this. He told Lazarus to make big overplays
and see what happened.)

The rating should go up now since GNU Go will spend more
time at higher levels. I want to be able to say 3.2 is
2 stones stronger than 3.0. Currently it is playing at
about 1.5 stones higher on NNGS so another 1/2 stone
improvement would be nice.

For a good game played today, see ossofied-gnugo-3.1.26-200203010317.sgf.
I wonder if Gunnar had applied his patch before this game or not.
Much of the game is played at lower levels, even down to levels 1
or 2 and there are some big mistakes but on the whole it's a
pretty good game. Note how when ossofied plays inside GNU Go's
territory at the end of the game GNU Go answers all his moves quite
reasonably.