Re: [gnugo-devel] Recent games against Many Faces

From: Inge Wallin
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Recent games against Many Faces
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 20:41:48 +0100 (MET)

Gunnar wrote:
> The first game was even with GNU Go playing black. GNU Go made some
> weak moves in the opening but somehow managed to get a lead in the
> middle game. However, it botched the lead by first allowing some
> stones in the center to be cut off and die. Later the lower right
> corner was also cut off and after GNU Go had misread the life and
> death it got killed. Many Faces won by 38.5.

Nevertheless it is very good to hear that GNU Go has any chance at all
against Many Faces.  That has never been the case before.

> In the second game GNU Go played black with two stones handicap. This
> game featured very little fighting and a lot of slow moves from both
> programs, but mostly from GNU Go. Close to the end GNU Go was leading
> by a tiny margin but Many Faces blundered and GNU Go could capture 14
> stones in an atari-atari sequence to get a 30.5 point win.

This is also good news.  Beating Many Faces at its own strong points
(tactics) is a big achievement.

However, I am not writing this mail just to congratulate ourselves.
The point is that I have more or less decided finally to go to the
Computer Olympiad and enter GNU Go into it.  This will take place
between the 5th and 11th of July in Maastricht, Holland.  See also
http://www.cs.unimaas.nl/Olympiad2002/ for more info.

I think it would be a good idea if we could try to make the quick
release of 3.2 that Dan is planning and then try to limit ourselves to
tuning and improvements of the connection handling until then.  Then,
after the olympiad we could start with new exiting ideas. That way we
might make as good a result as possible in the competition. What do
you think?

It might also be good if there could be somebody else beside me there
because I might enter a Lines of Action program that I am working
on. If so I might not be able to be present for all the games in the
go tournament.  Is anybody else planning to go?

        -Inge