Re: [gnugo-devel] arend_1_30.3: additional ko value

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] arend_1_30.3: additional ko value
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 14:21:29 -0800

Arend wrote:

>  - ko threat value computation changed
>
> It seems to me that the old computation of move[pos].additional_ko_value
> in value_moves.c is flawed. If a move has reverse_followup_value, but
> no followup value, then it got previously awarded a threat value.
>
> This patch changes this. It did not change any regression, so this
> was apparently not an urgent problem, although I vaguely remember seeing
> it somewhere a few releases ago.

This patch makes me a little nervous. Probably it is correct but:

(1) You don't seem to have an example showing the need for the patch.

(2) The correctness of the change is not transparently obvious to me.

We have seen enough cases of GNU Go making good ko threats and
currently it seems to play ko acceptably. Maybe we should put
this off until after 3.2.