Re: [gnugo-devel] arend_1_30.3: additional ko value

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] arend_1_30.3: additional ko value
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 00:38:11 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 address@hidden wrote:

> Arend wrote:
>
> >  - ko threat value computation changed
>
> This patch makes me a little nervous. Probably it is correct but:
>
> (1) You don't seem to have an example showing the need for the patch.
>
> (2) The correctness of the change is not transparently obvious to me.
>
> We have seen enough cases of GNU Go making good ko threats and
> currently it seems to play ko acceptably. Maybe we should put
> this off until after 3.2.
This is fine with me. The patch should be more relevant with --owl-threats.
As this is not the default at the moment, we can certainly postpone this.

The idea of the patch is btw to count sente moves with their (higher) value
as gote/reverse sente instead of their sente value. I have never seen
this explained anywhere, but this how I guess it should be done.

Arend