Re: Persistent cache (was: RE: [gnugo-devel] Proposed owl_determine_l if

From: bump
Subject: Re: Persistent cache (was: RE: [gnugo-devel] Proposed owl_determine_l ife() improvement)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 06:37:04 -0800

> I think this is also related to Dan's post a couple weeks ago :
> http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/gnugo-devel/2002-October/003157.html
>
> Looking at the persistent cache code, it seems to me that a change in
> the escape values within the active area can indeed get unnoticed in
> some cases and consequently generate such discrepancies. IMHO, fixing
> this is a quite high priority, but I have no clue how.

Gunnar looked at that example and gave the opinion that the
active area for the persistent caching of the read result on
the left side of the board was not large enough to notice
that an owl result had been affected by events in the center.

There are two possible fixes:

(1) Expand the active area;

(2) Have gtp_loadsgf clear the persistent cache.

I don't think (1) is a good idea because it would degrade
performance, and I'm not convinced this is really a problem
in real game play.