RE: [gnugo-devel] Reward multi-purpose moves ?

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: RE: [gnugo-devel] Reward multi-purpose moves ?
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 14:10:09 +0100 (CET)

Portela Fernand wrote:

> I took a more
> serious look at the connection_value() function, and it seems to me that
> something is indeed missing there : follow-ups. For instance, in case of
> a critical dragon, the failure to connect it to a friendly living one, not
> only costs proportionally to its effective size (if it dies), but it also
> connects all the surrounding opponent dragons together. Shouldn't we take
> this into account ?

You are right, but the same problem goes for OWL_DEFENSE moves. (In fact,
I think connections of a critical dragon to a living dragon should be
upgraded to a OWL_DEFENSE move and be evaluated as such.)

As for connection/cut moves in general, I am at the moment trying out a
scheme similar to the one Inge proposed for strategical defense moves.
Depending on how well things go, I may post about that tomorrow.

Arend