RE: [gnugo-devel] Reward multi-purpose moves ?

From: Evan Berggren Daniel
Subject: RE: [gnugo-devel] Reward multi-purpose moves ?
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 22:52:02 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Portela Fernand wrote:

> But it also seems to me that you had a great insight, Arend. I took a more
> serious look at the connection_value() function, and it seems to me that
> something is indeed missing there : follow-ups. For instance, in case of
> a critical dragon, the failure to connect it to a friendly living one, not
> only costs proportionally to its effective size (if it dies), but it also
> connects all the surrounding opponent dragons together. Shouldn't we take
> this into account ?

While we're getting ideas...  sometimes a connection between live dragons
means that a dead group doesn't have to be picked up as outside liberties
are filled, if the dragon has no eyes except for the lunch.  I don't
believe gnugo accounts for this at all.

Anyway, this multipurpose move valuing and connection stuff looks really
interesting.

Evan Daniel