Re: [gnugo-devel] bugfix

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] bugfix
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 15:58:28 +0100 (CET)

Dan wrote:

> It seemed to me that we should do the following in In gtp_dragon_status,
> though it passes only ld_owl:302 and not ld_owl:161.

> +    color = board[str];
>    }
>    else if (sscanf(s, "%*s") != EOF)
>      return gtp_failure("invalid coordinate");
>
> -  silent_examine_position(BLACK, EXAMINE_DRAGONS);
> +  silent_examine_position(color, EXAMINE_DRAGONS);

I don't understand how this can make a difference:
silent_examine_position() passes the color parameter on to
make_dragons() and compute_initial_influence(). For initial_influence,
EMPTY would actually be wrong (we do want to use hostile intrusion
patterns when computing the moyo size of a dragon). But I don't
understand how color == black or color == white can make a difference.

As for the influence, this should just swap initial_influence and
initial_opposite_influence to me. And make_dragons() has the following
comment:

 * color is the player in turn to move. This does in no way affect the
 * information collected about the dragons, but it does affect what
 * information is passed on to the move generation code. If
 * color == EMPTY no information at all is passed on to the move
 * generation.
 */

So using black resp. white should _not_ influence the status.

This smells like a bug somewhere else to me.

Arend