Re: [gnugo-devel] unused code

From: Trevor Morris
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] unused code
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 14:21:03 -0500

Arend said:
>2. When it would be a burden to accustom a patch to some code
>that hasn't been maintained for a while, the patch can simply break it.
>This is probably better sorted out once someone picks up working on
>that code.

Dan said:
Maybe the right approach is for someone to take maintainer's
>responsibility for any code that is not implemented by default,
>and if no-one is willing to do so we might entertain patches to
>remove it from the engine.

For these two, I wrote most if not all of the code.  (Also one komaster
scheme).
 - pattern based tactical reading
 - tree-based replacement of DFA

I wouldn't be surprised if the experimental reading code is currently broken,
likewise with the tree-based pattern matching.  The main benefit of the
tree-base reading is that, at least for the tactical reading, it is faster than
the DFA.  Some of my recent DFA work is see if I can speed it up.

I support both of the quoted comments above, and will be happy to be
the maintainer of these bits of code.

-Trevor