Re: [gnugo-devel] Re: global lookahead, distributed go

From: David G Doshay
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Re: global lookahead, distributed go
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 08:14:54 -0700

On Apr 9, 2004, at 9:37 AM, Arend Bayer wrote:

Do you have plans to run it on a server?

I have no objection, but we also had no plans to do so.

Because of the time required to do the lookahead, this code
runs at about 1/20 th the speed of gnugo. Due to this, as
well as the fact that the mascot for UC Santa Cruz is the
banana slug, when we think we have something for
public consumption it will be called Slug-go.

We just ordered an upgrade to our cluster to G5 cpus (and
72 of them up from 8), so that should help wall clock times.

We have written the code in a way that would allow a single
cpu computer to run it, but it would run something like 1/160
the speed of gnugo, and that is most probably not acceptable.

I will bring up the idea of connecting it to a server to others
on the team. This probably would not happen for a few months.
We still have a number of important things to fix and improve
before we have what could be called a public beta version.

Cheers,
David